Shadowman #1 Reviews
    Read Comic Books - ReadComicBooks

With one issue, i think the team of Justin Jordan and Patrick Zircher have actually taken over second place as my favourite Valiant series, just behind X-O Manowar. Ghosts, meat-monsters are only going to be the tip of the ice berg for these two. First issues can be misleading sometimess–either too good or too bad–but I think I can safely say that this has opened a whole new door for the Valiant re-launch that you are not going to want to miss. Go out and buy this issues on Wednesday. You will not be disappointed.

Comic Book Bin - Andy Frisk

What was so interesting about the magical elements of the original Valiant U were that they were based and easily defined as a sort of "Earth magic." Geomancers (soon to be making a reappearance in Archer and Armstrong) and evil beings, like the villain reintroduced here, could cross paths with a wide range of Valiant's heroes and not feel out of place, like most magical characters in the Marvel U do. Off to a great start in returning this element of the mysterious and magical to the Valiant U, Shadowman #1 not only brings this element to excellent life, it demonstrates the range of unified diversity that defines the Valiant Universe.

Comic Booked - David Vandervliet

Shadowman # 1 – On Sale November 7A $3.99 Comic, 32 pagesRated T+Written by Justin Jordan & Patrick ZircherArt & Cover byPatrick Zircher“Blackout” Pullbox Exclusive Variant by Patrick ZircherVariant Cover by Dave Johnson Variant Cover by Bill Sienkiewicz

cxPulp - Walt Kneeland

This issue is well worth getting and checking out--new fan or old. Or get it as something different, a character not set in New York or San Francisco, and that seems to be more of a supernatural character than super-hero.

Full Review

Shadowman is another awesome notch in the belt of Valiant. If you've enjoyed the rebirth of Valiant, you are going to love this book. If you haven't picked up any Valiant comics yet (what's wrong with you?) then this is as good as place as any to start. It's bleak and gross. Buy Shadowman and let it haunt your nightmares. You'll be happy you did.

Multiversity Comics - David Harper

his is maybe the co-lead for best debut of any Valiant series with Archer & Armstrong, mostly because of how effective at world building it is and just how fantastic Zircher was in this issue. He feels truly inspired.

Comicosity - Aaron Long

This is a solid comic book that starts this series with a bang. This is one of Valiant's strongest series debuts yet and I can't wait to read more.

Crave Online - Andy Hunsaker

Shadowman #1 is another solid entry in the Valiant Comics superherouniverse. Go team!

First Comics News - Matthew Szewczyk

The first issue is all set up; the stage has been set, Jack has become the new Shadowman and now we will have to see what the second issue will give us. I have a feeling that the story will really take off next issue and give the readers more of the supernatural bloodshed they are looking for. I know that when I read the last panel of this issue I was not ready to stop reading and when I put the comic down I was already looking forward to the second issue. That I feel is the mark of a successful first issue.

Full Review
    Comic Book Therapy - Muy Mareado!

Valiant continues to impress with another stellar title. It earns a definite spot within your collection and you won't be disappointed. This book will prepare you for the best (or worse) to come in the series and it's guaranteed to leave a bloody path for you to follow.

Newsarama - David Pepose

Right now, there isn't too much that's different about Shadowman, in terms of actual plot. What does make this book different, however, is that Valiant is bringing A-list artistic talent to a character that otherwise wouldn't be viable in this already supersaturated superhero market. Zircher's artwork is epic enough to pique my interest, but Jack Boniface needs to stand on his own two feet if Shadowman is going to be able to withstand the light of day.

CHUD - Jeb Delia

Shadowman is entertaining and well worth a look, but time will tell if it lives up to its predecessor's cult reputation.

Comics: The Gathering - lucstclair

This was a hard one to grade, on one hand it’s very ambitious, but I wasn’t feeling it. On the other hand, I have to give credit where credit’s due. Maybe 20 years from now I’ll be reading the third generation of Shadowman and who knows, it might have surprises for me yet.

Comic Bastards - Dustin Cabeal

This may not be Valiant’s strongest first issue, but it’s still better than half of the other company’s first issues. Maybe the Summer of Valiant left us all a little to hyped and that’s why this issue didn’t knock my socks off, but it’s still a good first issue that has me excited to read the rest of the series. Shadowman’s reveal may have happened sooner than anticipated, but that can only mean something awesome is in stored for the next issue.

Comics Crux - Wesley Messer

Out of all the Valiant titles Ive read so far, this first issue is the one thats left me the most underwhelmed. That beginning was just so strong that I wish the rest of the issue would have followed suit. Though I have to admit, the ending redeemed Shadowman for me more than I thought it would. In my own case, Ill end up checking out the second issue. While it wasn't perfect, there was enough there for me to read more. Shadowman seems like the kind of story that needs more time to breathe and hopefully that is the case. We shall have to see in the second issue if Im right.

Comic Book Resources - Ryan K. Lindsay

"Shadowman" #1 is an introduction that shows what works and what doesn't for this title. The weird and wonderful moments are intriguing, but the character moments lose any momentum the issue built. This will need to improve for the title to compete against the other Valiant relaunched titles. There is promise here, and a few tight moments, but the second instalment will be the test to see if this is something you need to read monthly.

Full Review

I'm intrigued. Stunning art by Zircher, great writing by Jordan. This book doesn't miss a beat. A lot happens in this issue. Jordan does a great job of setting up a character with a backstory involving his mysterious, (supposedly) dead parents, which gives an emotional element to the story and a motivation that I can get onboard with. We are also introduced to a pretty badass villain and shown some pretty gory violence along the way. All around awesome issue. If Jordan and Zircher can continually keep the book at this quality then we are in for a real treat. On an off-note, I'll repeat this again: Valiant is not making ANY bad books right now. They are all fantastic. I highly suggest trying some out.

comments powered by Disqus